Darren Kett Builders went above and beyond what they had to do at times and we appreciate it hugely.
Benefits of a Managed Repair
One of the main benefits of the EQC Canterbury Home Repair Programme is that there is no charge to you if the actual cost of the repair work exceeds the estimate – so you are protected from cost escalation and financial risk.
Read some of the positive feedback on the work of repair teams here in our Homeowner Stories section. There's also feedback in the Compliments Page we publish for contractors to read.
An expert project manager
- With a managed repair we provide all aspects of the repair process, including the physical repair work, quality monitoring and control, legal and building code compliance.
- The accredited contractor will organise and liaise with all the various tradespeople required. (For example where your repair needs painters, paperhangers, tilers, carpenters, electricians etc.) This represents a considerable saving in time to the homeowner.
- Contractors working under the programme have been through an accreditation programme that validates their qualifications, skills and experience.
This is based on the Licensed Building Practitioner scheme put in place by the Government in 2012. Master Builders and Certified Builders qualify automatically.
Protection from financial risk
- There is no charge to you if the actual cost of the work exceeds the estimate. An example of this might be asbestos. Where necessary we test for this in areas of earthquake damage to be repaired. It can sometimes be found during a repair. Testing and removal requires specialist contractors and can be expensive.
- If labour or material costs rise during a repair this is not something homeowners need to worry about.
- Many homes have structural damage and where there is serious damage to your home we refer the repair to our technical team to investigate an appropriate solution. This means you would receive a range of expert input at no cost. The engineering work is carried out by qualified engineers under senior professional supervision, including Chartered Professional Engineers on both New Zealand and international registers.
Other design work that requires particular skill sets (fire safety, external moisture, geotechnical engineers and specialist surveying) is carried out by specialists in those fields, including Chartered professional Geotechnical Engineers, Architects and registered surveyors. Read more here about our technical team.
Quality and Peace of Mind
- Every repair we manage has a Contract Supervisor who monitors the progress of the work and inspects it on completion - to be sure all the repairs in the Scope of Works have been completed to the required standard.
- Our staff can also help you with issues and logistics including advice on temporary accommodation for homeowners who need to relocate during repair work.
- The contractor accreditation process means you don’t have to find an appropriately qualified contractor to do the job. Over the life of the programme we have built a profile of the contractors we engage with so we can allocate work with the best fit possible.
- There is a structured process of contractor performance evaluation that produces ratings on a range of criteria. A disciplinary regime deals with under-performance, and can lead to contractors having their accreditation withdrawn.
- Once the repair work is completed there is a Defect Period and contractors have agreed that they will return to fix any confirmed defects in workmanship advised during that period.
Ray Thomson from RJT Builders not only finished the job ahead of time, but he was very good to deal with and did a great job.
Patrick from PG Builders showed persistence with the tricky stuff in such an unruffled way. He made life so much easier for us after more than two years of repair challenge. Thanks to all the teams, we enjoyed having them on site.
We commend Peter and Jimmy and their team at Solidi Mega Vision for their excellent standard of communication and workmanship during our Canterbury Home Repair Programme work.